Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Only Way to Fail is to Quit

Lousy. That's how I'd describe my first attempts toward excellence in my first chosen "physical quadrant." I just failed.

Failure in life is a necessary gain. I say gain because if we desire it, failure teaches us how to succeed. We literally learn how to fail, then fail better, as failed stepping stones lead us to success. As I reflect upon the evidence of failure, I can plainly see that the reason comes down to two main things.

#1 The desire to do the thing because I know it's the right thing to do just isn't enough. I have to truly want it, and that want has to not be topical, but come from the inside, from the heart of me.
#2. I am not in the habit, as my husband constantly reminds me, of putting myself first. So how does one truly make needed change, when change is hard?

In a time of immense personal trial, a good friend who once was my bishop placed in my hand, a thick round heavy brass coin. On it in large lettering read the words, "Attitude is Everything." Attitude is everything. It isn't enough to do. To want it, and want it with fervor is the key. We have to set out with a desirous heart to accomplish the thing well, and we have to have a good attitude about it. Something so large as to take physical work when it does not come naturally is quite a change. To change is to desire to change working from the "inside out." Not as in my first attempt working from the outside in.

So, I'm ready to try again. I just had a physical, My dental exam, and have been claimed fit, and the green light with a clean slate says go, go go!

No comments:

Post a Comment